Before starting the production of the BIOFIN assessments, a national consultation should be organized to:
- Create awareness of the BIOFIN approach and related concepts;
- Engage a wide variety of stakeholders in the process;
- Gauge the perspectives of key actors on the challenges and potential of biodiversity finance.
The following guiding questions can help to frame the consultation agenda:
- What are the main entry points for biodiversity finance in the country?
- What challenges are foreseen to implement BIOFIN?
- What critical policies are planned for the coming years and how should we align with these?
- What are the most strategic organizations and initiatives to engage?
- Which data sources for biodiversity finance are accessible and under what conditions?
- What is the broad scope and profile of existing finance instruments?